Curriculum Vitae of Michael F. Richards
Summary of Qualifications
- 34 years of banking experience.
- Experienced in all aspects of banking including Organizer, President/CEO, Commercial Lender, Credit Review, Regional Underwriter, and Work-out specialist.
- Excellent understanding of Community Bank and Regional Bank cultures.
- Excellent communication and computer skills.
- Exceptional grasp of complex and strained business relationships.
- Superb documentation and credit review understanding.
- Problem solver and strategic thinker.
- Exceptional understanding of bank regulations.
- Excellent regulatory agency relationships.
Consultant and Expert Witness (July 2009-present): Expert Witness Testimony and consultant for bank related troubled borrowers and loans. Representing either the borrower or bank in research and analysis of specific loan issues and giving litigation support, Expert Witness Testimony, and written reports when required.
President/Chief Executive Officer and Founder – Bank of Bozeman (2004-2009): Founder and organizer of Bank of Bozeman a de novo bank in Bozeman, Montana. Prepared all regulatory bank approvals and raised $9 million of initial capital through a Private Placement Memorandum (PPM). Served as the President/CEO growing the bank to $80 million in a four year period. Was responsible for the total operations of the bank including all regulatory relationships, bank correspondents, and shareholder communications.
Vice President Commercial Loans – Heritage Bank (2003-2004): Hired to increase the commercial loan portfolio of Heritage Bank in Bozeman, Montana.
Branch President: – Mountain West Bank, N.A. (2001-2003): Hired to manage the newly opened office in Bozeman, Montana. Appointed to the Senior Loan Committee reviewing all loans of the other branches prior to being submitted to the Board of Directors Loan Committee.
President and Organizer – Big Sky Western Bank (1989-2001): Hired as the President, Organizer, and Director of Big Sky Western Bank a de novo bank in Big Sky, Montana. As the President of the bank, it grew from a start-up bank with $1 million in capital to four locations and assets of $68 million by 1999. Successfully negotiating the merger of the bank into the Glacier Bank System in 1999 and staying on as President and Director for the next two years.
Executive Vice President/Regional Underwriter – Montana Bank of Bozeman and Livingston (1987-1989): Hired to improve (clean-up) the loan portfolios of both Montana Bank of Bozeman and Montana Bank of Livingston as they had major credit problems and were under a regulatory enforcement agreement. Both banks showed great improvement during that period. Was responsible for hiring a new Branch President to oversee both banks.
Vice President/Site Manager – First Bank Systems Credit Services and Vice President/Commercial Loan Officer –First Bank N.A. Billings (1984-1987: Hired as a VP/Commercial Loan Officer in Billings, Montana, managing a loan portfolio of $15 million. Appointed to the Loan Committee, reviewing all loans prior to being presented to the Board of Directors. In 1986, First Bank Systems, the owner of First Bank, was forming special assets departments (work-out) throughout their banking system under the name First Bank Systems Credit Services. Organized and managed the work-out department in Billings Montana, handling problem credits for five First Bank branches and reviewing credits in branches that First Bank was divesting. Supervised four loan officers and two administrative assistants handling $24 million in problem credits. Reported to the Regional Director for the State of Montana and reduced net loan balances to $7 million. In the year 1987 the office recovered over $1 million.
Other Banking Experience (1975-1982): In 1975, after graduating from the University of California, Davis, was hired by Crocker National Bank as an Agricultural Loan Officer trainee in Fresno, California. Was promoted various times and ultimately became a Branch Manager. From 1982-1984 was the Branch Manager of Lloyds Bank California at their Sanger, California office before moving to Billings, Montana.
- BS, University of California, Davis, California (1975)
- 34 years of banking and business courses sponsored by the following organizations:
- American Bankers Association
- Montana Bankers Association
- California Bankers Association
- Montana Independent Bankers Association
- Robert Morris Association
- Pacific Coast Bankers Bank
- Pacific Coast Banking School
- Western Independent Bankers
- Profit Star
- Independent Community Bankers of America
- Darling Consulting
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Bankers Academy
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Seattle
- Bank Director
- Laser Pro
- Harland Financial Solutions
- Bankers Systems Inc.
- I Tech Corporation
- United Bankers Bank
- US Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Board of Directors of Montana Independent Bankers Association
- Montana Ambassador
- Board of Directors and President of Robert Morris Association
- Board of Directors of Big Sky Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman of Big Sky Resort Tax Advisory Board
- Kiwanis Club
- Rotary Club
- Sheriff Posse
- California Bankers Association
- Agricultural Backers Association
- Big Sky Association for the Arts
- Montana State University Quarterback Club